Monday, January 9, 2012

My First Try at Mold Making

Wednesday, Nov 30, 2011

I finally got around to trying my hands at mold making and casting.

I used the Pourable Silicone Starter Kit from Smooth On for this:


Here are the figures placed into the clay up to the parting line for each of the parts:


Close up of the parts:
 

Added vents for the resin to flow through and release air:


Front side of the mold done:



Backside of the mold poured:


I apparently took too much time before pouring since the mixture started hardening as I did so. It resulted in a lumpy surface on the outside. With any luck the actual mold surface inside is fine.

I must not have mixed the two parts equally since the front and back side of  the molds are rather different in color. One is a lighter blue and other more purplish. I wonder which one is the correct color for a proper mixture?

No comments:

Post a Comment